Former WWE CEO Linda McMahon commented on the retirement of her husband Vince McMahon earlier today.
Vince recently retired from WWE amid a Board of Directors investigation into NDA payouts to various women over the years. He is also being investigated by the federal government. Linda was asked about Vince while speaking at the America First Policy Institute conference today.
Linda initially said she wasn’t going to talk about Vince and WWE.
“I’m not going to talk about Vince and WWE,” she told a reporter as she made her way through the conference. “I’m here to talk about AFPI.”
The reporter pressed Linda and mentioned how fans of pro wrestling can’t believe Vince actually retired.
“Well, you know what, he’ll just be deciding on how he’s going to spend his free time. I think that’s a good thing. Thanks!” Linda responded.
The reporter continued and asked McMahon if she was concerned about the investigation into her husband and the payouts.
“No, come on,” Linda responded. “Come on, I told you I’m here to talk about AFPI.”
Linda officially left WWE and her position as CEO in 2009 to pursue a career in politics.
As we’ve noted, it was initially revealed on Wednesday, June 15 that WWE’s Board of Directors had been investigating then-Chairman & CEO Vince over the “secret $3 million settlement” he made to a former paralegal that was hired in 2019. Then-Talent Relations head John Laurinaitis was also being investigated for his involvement, and it was revealed that the Board had been looking into other instances with former female employees as well. It was then announced on Friday, June 17 that Stephanie McMahon returned from her leave of absence to act as the Interim CEO & Interim Chairwoman after Vince voluntarily stepped away from his Chairman & CEO corporate duties, while still continuing his creative responsibilities, at least at that time. It was then revealed on Monday, June 20 that Bruce Prichard, WWE’s Senior Vice President and RAW/SmackDown Executive Producer, was working as the Interim Senior Vice President of Talent Relations, filling in for Laurinaitis during the investigation. It was then revealed on Friday, July 8, that McMahon agreed to pay more than $12 million in “hush money” to four women, including a former wrestler, as another round of allegations were made public. Prichard is no longer working the interim role as WWE announced on July 22 that Triple H is the new WWE Executive Vice President of Talent Relations. Vince’s retirement was announced hours after Triple H’s new role was announced, and Vince was the first to confirm that Stephanie is the new Chairwoman & Co-CEO, along with Co-CEO Nick Khan. Laurinaitis is also believed to be gone from the company. WWE announced earlier this week on July 25 that Triple H is also the new head of creative. WWE also announced on July 25 that previous financial statements were being revised due to “certain unrecorded expenses” by Vince, in the amount of $14.6 million, which are the payouts to various women. WWE noted then that Vince was personally re-paying the amount. It was also revealed on July 25 that the federal government is investigating the McMahon payouts. You can find full details at the links below, including statements from Vince and Stephanie, full details on the anonymous e-mails that led to the investigations, the “hush money” pacts, and more.
Stay tuned to WrestlingHeadlines.com for more. Below are links to our various reports on the McMahon – Laurinaitis situation and the recent fallout.
FULL COVERAGE OF THE VINCE MCMAHON – JOHN LAURINAITIS ALLEGATIONS AND FALLOUT: