During an interview with Chris Van Vliet, Matt Taven spoke on why he’s so loyal to Ring Of Honor. Here’s what he had to say:
You know, there’s so many different things. I’ve always been a fan of those guys that stick with one team forever, you know what I mean? The Larry Byrds. Like, in my mind, Michael Jordan never played for the Wizards, that’s just ridiculous. Magic Johnson. It’s just like those guys that are synonymous, they brand themselves basically with their team logo. And it’s always been something that’s been on my mind. But there’s been a million things that Ring of Honor has been there for me time after time. I’ve made a million mistakes, you know, I’ve done a million dumb things. And it seems like Ring of Honor’s always kind of, instead of pushing me down, picked me up.
There’s one thing in particular that happened. When I got injured four years ago, you know, I blew out my ACL at a time that was — if people knew what was going on backstage, it was just complete chaos. Because Mikey and Maria were going to TNA, or they were at least in the midst of their contract stuff. Me and [Adam] Cole, there were talks about us doing something else and boom, I blow out my ACL. Any my contract’s about to expire. It’s about to expire like Mike’s is. And so Mike knows that he’s going elsewhere, I thought I was staying, but now all of a sudden I’m hurt before my contract expires. And Ring of Honor comes to me and says, ‘You know what, don’t — we’ll honor our deal the way it was until you’re back, and we’ll take care of things from there.’
And I was like, from a guy that really killed himself on the indies, and you never know when that next paycheck’s coming, when the next — in the indies, you’re lucky if you get a hot dog and a handshake after you wrestle. And to be in a scary situation where you’re like, ‘I’m about to be a free agent and hurt. What am I to do? How do I sell myself to people’ … so for Ring of Honor to say ‘Hey man, we want you to be here We’ll take care of you, you’re part of my family.’ I never forgot that for a second, and I never will.
You can listen to the interview below:
Credit: Chris Van Vliet. H/T 411Mania.
- Rumor: Drew McIntyre To Lose WWE Championship Soon?
- New Report On Kenny Omega’s Future Direction In AEW, Plans To Push Him As A Singles Star?
- Naomi Makes Instagram Post About Last Night’s Karaoke Segment, Goes After Lacey Evans
- Karrion Kross On Who He’d Like To Face At Wrestlemania
- Nyla Rose On Which WWE Wrestler She Was Mistaken For While Working For IMPACT
- Vince McMahon Reportedly Scraps RAW Title Change Due to Crowd Issue
- Drew McIntyre Says He Had To Talk Heath Slater Into Making Raw Appearance: “Mentally He Has Moved On”
- Heath Slater and Drew McIntyre React to Slater’s RAW Return, Slater on His Future
- Jim Ross On Why The WWE Signed The Undertaker To A New Fifteen Year Deal
- Rumors on WWE SummerSlam, Evolution 2 and a Possible Debut for Tessa Blanchard
- Rey Mysterio No Longer Under Contract With WWE, Extreme Rules Grudge Match Against Seth Rollins To Be Announced?
- New Report On Charlotte Flair Taking An Extended Break From WWE: “0% She Returns For SummerSlam”
- Drew McIntyre Insults Lana In Response to Her Comments on Sleeping with Him
- Dave Crist Reportedly Removed From IMPACT Locker Room After Failing To Apologize To Rich Swann For Injury
- Arn Anderson Recalls The Shield Being A Dominant Faction, Says WWE Should Just Let Seth Rollins Do His Thing