Wrestling legend Rob Van Dam recently spoke with WWE Hall of Famer Steve Austin for “The Steve Austin Show” podcast, to promote his “Headstrong” documentary, which looks at the issues he deals with stemming from brain injuries and concussions suffered in his career.
RVD told Austin that he’s suffered “hundreds, seriously, hundreds, of concussions” over the years.
Van Dam also discussed the immediate effects of hits directly to the head.
“Balls Mahoney would hit me with a chair. Then ‘crack!’ It would be like everything’s in slow motion. Sometimes the sound ‘goes out,’ sometimes you know everything’s spinning.”
RVD, who is currently working for Impact Wrestling, noted how he wasn’t aware of concussions and CTE in the early days of his career, adding that unprotected shots to the head were expected of wrestlers in ECW. RVD told Austin that he didn’t think the effects would be long-lasting, and he thought that the instant “woozyness” feeling was all that he would feel early on in his career.
“I had double vision, but I just couldn’t shake it off and I kept thinking well. You know, it’ll be gone tomorrow, so I’m not gonna let anybody know. The show must go on,” he said.
(H/T to SEScoops for the quotes)
- Drew McIntyre Says He Had To Talk Heath Slater Into Making Raw Appearance: “Mentally He Has Moved On”
- Rumors on WWE SummerSlam, Evolution 2 and a Possible Debut for Tessa Blanchard
- New Details on What Happened During Matt Riddle’s WWE SmackDown Debut Segment
- Chris Jericho Says He Never Had A Problem Working With Ryback, Lists WWE Stars Who Were A Little More Difficult
- Kevin Owens Reportedly Approached Vince McMahon Regarding The Lack Of Medical Masks At The Performance Center
- Rey Mysterio No Longer Under Contract With WWE, Extreme Rules Grudge Match Against Seth Rollins To Be Announced?
- New Report On Charlotte Flair Taking An Extended Break From WWE: “0% She Returns For SummerSlam”
- Drew McIntyre Insults Lana In Response to Her Comments on Sleeping with Him
- Arn Anderson Recalls The Shield Being A Dominant Faction, Says WWE Should Just Let Seth Rollins Do His Thing
- Dave Crist Reportedly Removed From IMPACT Locker Room After Failing To Apologize To Rich Swann For Injury