WWE superstar and ambassador Titus O’Neil recently spoke to TV Insider to discuss being a finalist for the Muhammad Ali Sports Humanitarian Award. O’Neil also touches on his current position in WWE and talks getting other wrestlers involved in his non-profit organization. Highlights are below.
On his current position in WWE:
I’m still an active performer. Everybody can’t be on TV at the same time. This business can be cyclical. When the right opportunity comes to present me in a storyline, I’ll be more than happy to accept whatever role they want to put me in. At the end of the day, we’re all entertainers, and I love entertaining. I’m far from retiring. Being a WWE Superstar is not just about wrestling. We are bigger than wrestlers. I’m very confident within the next six months, [fans] are going to see something come to fruition that really shows WWE Superstars are so much more. I’m still an active performer. Everybody can’t be on TV at the same time. This business can be cyclical. When the right opportunity comes to present me in a storyline, I’ll be more than happy to accept whatever role they want to put me in. At the end of the day, we’re all entertainers, and I love entertaining. I’m far from retiring. Being a WWE Superstar is not just about wrestling. We are bigger than wrestlers. I’m very confident within the next six months, [fans] are going to see something come to fruition that really shows WWE Superstars are so much more.
On the Bullard Family Foundation
I just wanted to take ownership and have my efforts focused into one place. We established the Bullard Family Foundation about two years ago, but I’ve been doing work since college. Now it’s about being able to [identify] and apply for grants and partner with the right organizations to continue to make the work greater. [O’Neil has lent support to the breast-cancer organization Susan G. Komen, Boys & Girls Clubs of America and Special Olympics, among others.] It’s nice when you can speak on the behalf of another organization, but it hits home a little better that it’s my foundation.
On getting other superstars like Sasha Banks and Batista involved:
We all have stories and pasts that have led to who we are today. Sometimes we want to go out and share that story, but travel schedules and work schedules might [make us] feel confined to just doing certain things with the company or organization. I remember Sami Zayn calling me on the phone a little over a year ago after he wanted to raise money for Syria. He said, “Do you think I would get in trouble for doing something like this since it’s outside the company?” I said, “No, if anything, the company will embrace it and help you push it. You have to just make sure it’s structured the right way, that the right people are associated with it and that you have a clear message of what you’re trying to do. People like Natalya and Sasha Banks, those are my sisters. I feel like the entire roster, whoever I’ve called upon to help has been there, whether it’s Cesaro, Sheamus, Seth Rollins or Becky Lynch. They do stuff all the time, making videos for kids or something else. They say, “Anytime you need me, let me know,” or if they call on me to do something or need guidance, I’m there. It’s the ultimate level of respect to me, but it’s also another level of responsibility. You don’t need to be holding a WWE title to be presented as a champion. We’re all champions.
- Bully Ray Talks Infamous Jeff Hardy and Sting TNA Match, Says TNA Made Hardy Apologize When He Returned To The Company
- Alexa Bliss Now Charging $400 for Cameo Videos, More Wrestlers on the Platform
- AEW Fight For The Fallen Results 7/15/2020
- Jon Moxley Retains Over Brian Cage After Taz Throws In The Towel, Darby Allin Returns
- WWE NXT Results 7/15/20
- Drew McIntyre Says He Had To Talk Heath Slater Into Making Raw Appearance: “Mentally He Has Moved On”
- Kevin Owens Reportedly Approached Vince McMahon Regarding The Lack Of Medical Masks At The Performance Center
- Chris Jericho Says He Never Had A Problem Working With Ryback, Lists WWE Stars Who Were A Little More Difficult
- New Details on What Happened During Matt Riddle’s WWE SmackDown Debut Segment
- EC3 On Whether He Regrets Signing With WWE, Says He Wishes He Could Have Faced Orton Or Cena, Creative Ideas Pitched and more
- Rey Mysterio No Longer Under Contract With WWE, Extreme Rules Grudge Match Against Seth Rollins To Be Announced?
- New Report On Charlotte Flair Taking An Extended Break From WWE: “0% She Returns For SummerSlam”
- Arn Anderson Recalls The Shield Being A Dominant Faction, Says WWE Should Just Let Seth Rollins Do His Thing
- Dave Crist Reportedly Removed From IMPACT Locker Room After Failing To Apologize To Rich Swann For Injury
- WWE to Release The Velveteen Dream Soon?